WritReady.com receive inquiries from judgment creditors that have obtained judgments against debtors only to find out that the judgment debtors have relocated to, set-up shop, or have assets in another state.  The method of enforcing out-of-state judgments depends on what state the person is attempting to collect and what state the judgment originated. For instance, the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act allows for enforcement of judgments once they have been filed with the local District Court or Superior Court.  This Act has been adopted by 46 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.   The states that have not adopted the Act are: California, Indiana, Massachusetts & Vermont – To enforce a judgment in or from one of these states, the judgment creditor must first file what is referred to as a “domestication action” to make the foreign judgment locally enforceable.

Read More